Monday, November 3, 2008

Farewell Jumbo - 'It's the end of an era'



It is finally time for the Spin King to call it quits. Anil Kumble announced his retirement after the Kotla test on Sunday.





Announcing his retirement, Kumble said, “I had an injury which was quite unfortunate. It has been a fantastic journey. I would like to thank my team and my family. It has been a tough decision. Now I would like to spend more time with my wife and children.”



The spin bowler said that he would like to be remembered for giving his 100 per cent every time he went to the field. “I want to be remembered as someone who raised the bar for the team,” he said.

A fighter to the core, Kumble was often criticised for not being a great turner of the ball early in his career but the Karnataka stalwart kept silencing his critics with heroic performances right through his career.

"A lot of players in the team, I cannot tell you the names, were in tears when he told them his decision. It was an emotional moment for the team and me. He was an extraordinary cricketer, a great role model, not only for the youngsters but also for the future generations," Selector Srikkanth said on sunday.

Anil Kumble is the greatest match winner India has ever produced.

  • The greatest matchwinner will undoubtedly be Anil Kumble....whether it is his 6 for 12 vs West Indies in Hero cup final in 1993, whether is is his 7 wicket haul in Sri Lanka in 1993, whether it is his 21 wickets in 3 test against england in 1993 or his 10 for 74 against Pak...he was a deadly matchwinner
A pictorial tribute to the Anil Kumble




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Just Rate It